Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Good Times

Think of your definition of a good day. Got it? How do those days start?For me, it can be as simple as listening to the right music.

Yesterday was an amazing day, but I didn't think it would be. I missed the bus, and the weather couldn't decide whether or not to rain. I thought it was going to be one of those crappy days where you just can't get happy, and nothing goes right.

When I get to school about 20 minutes early, I was prepared for crappy music to be blasting from the speakers in the gym, so I was pleasantly surprised to hear 'Crazy Train' by Ozzy Osbourne being played. I sat down and read H. P. Lovecraft to the sounds of 'Help' by the Beatles, 'It's The End Of The World As We Know It' by R.E.M., and things of that ilk. A good way to start a morning.

Fast forward a few hours to the period of lunch, when it actually got through my head that it was May 17th. For those of you I hadn't told, that was the day that my new graphic novel was due to arrive. The novel? JTHM: Director's Cut. This put me in hyper-fangirl mode, which is always accompanied by happiness.

I get home to a dog who's bouncy and easily excited, and to large packages in front of the door. Due to the fact that it's the 17th, I am now just as bouncy as Georgia Rose, which confuses her to no end. Dad comes home from Rochester, and we open the boxes together. To my extreme disappointment, none of them contain my novel. I prepare to wait another day, and begin to walk off to my room when my dad asks what size package JTHM: Director's Cut could be in. Confused, I turn around, and he hands me a notebook-sized package. I squealed with fan-girlish delight, and practically tore the package open to reveal the book I had been dreaming about all week. At this point, I was giggling insanely, and dashed up to my room. For the next five hours, I was laughing hysterically at things that I probably shouldn't have laughed at...

Are you thinking this day cannot possibly get better for me? It can, believe me, it can..... That night, over great pizza with sausage, artichoke hearts and feta, we watched Grosse Pointe Blank. Yes, I watched a movie about a professional killer after reading a graphic novel about a homicidal maniac. So sue me. It had a great soundtrack, too! There were only two or three songs I didn't know.

Just a word to the wise, though. Don't read Edgar Allen Poe, H. P. Lovecraft and JTHM before you attempt to sleep. If you manage it, you will have really odd dreams.....

No comments:

Post a Comment